There are a few interesting things I did, and a few even worked fairly well:
- Made a paper pattern and worked out some kinks there first.
- Centered the fabric's design on the front cover
- Sandwiched plastic mesh in the front cover to give the screen a little more protection.
- Attached the velcro BEFORE sewing front and lining together
- Punting when I found I was out of black elastic, I used hair bands to attach the reader (' I wanted to get it done!)
- Added a small pocket to the inside, because you can never have enough pockets
- I made sure when I turned the cover to the back, the velcro would catch and hold it out of the way
- Added a strap to said cover, so when it was conveniently turned to the back, I could slip my hand or a few fingers in it to comfortable hold the reader (yes, thanks to my favorite in-house librarian, I inserted elastic in the strap)
Things I would change:
- Allow a tad more for "turn of the cloth"
- Improve the closure - when I get out to get more elastic, I'm retrofitting it with a piece along the length of the closure
- In fact, I'd increase the overlap flap another 3/4-1"
- Add plastic mesh to the back too as its negligible weight doesn't add much bulk for a firmer feel
It took about 4-5 hours from design to finish. Kinda cool, I think.