Sunday, November 11, 2012

Lessons of a Tailor

I go on tangents pretty easily. My darling Ghanaian daughter, aka my daughter who'd like to go BACK to Ghana, posted a story from the BBC about the late Ghanaian president. I left the article playing and ended up listening to the 3rd story of the link and fell in love with tailor Martin Greenfield.  Surviving the concentration camps, losing his entire family, coming alone to New York in 1947 and working his way up to owner of the company, he's an inspiration!

Lessons of a Tailor - scroll to the bottom and watch the 8 minute video.

He's a hoot in the original interview that got me started. Listen at around 16:30 BBC interview


Sunday, August 26, 2012

Creative supply chain

My mother taught me to save everything and make do. I certainly ignore that advice and add to my tools and stash often enough. But I also bristle at the price of some items or get excited to re-purpose things. Here are two small items that allow me to laugh at consumerism!

My mother's doctor's office supplies me with pattern paper. They can't always use the exam table paper freebies given to them by the pharmacy reps. You might be able to tell why in the picture:

Cracks me up every time I use it.

My dishwasher died recently (well OK, a year ago). I didn't like the utensil basket in the new one so I swapped my old one into the new dishwasher. That left me with a perfectly new utensil basket. I quickly (well OK, a few weeks ago) cut fleece remnants to fit the bottom of each section so things didn't fall out. It works great to corral my patternmaking and cutting tools:

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Sewing Machine Song - with Betty Hutton

I saw this on another blog and it cracked me up! Betty Hutton was probably best known for "Annie Get Your Gun".

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Ereader cover - Part Deux

I was kinda excited when I found out my sister-in-law got a Nook for Christmas too. I decided after just a few days use, I already knew some corrections I needed to make to my Nook cover. Making one for her gave me a good excuse to play some more. Especially because I love quick projects! It turned out cute!

I increased the size of the cover in all directions a wee bit, but especially in the flap. And I added an elastic band to hold said flap in place. Here's a pretty bad picture of the band, but you get the idea:

Another improvement was to insert plastic mesh in both the front and back this time. I still have a small strap that's available to hook your hand or finger in when you read. But after reading a lot this weekend, I'm wondering if it needs placed at a different angle. 

I think adding a small pocket to the front or back outside would be better than the inside, for the charger cord. Less chance of damage to the screen I think. I also would like to add fleece or batting inside so the area on the edge (like the book binding) would be better protected.
Still, it's useful, and it was fun to play around making it!

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Ereader cover

Nearly immediately upon receiving my cool Nook for Christmas (from my awesome kids), I wanted to make a cover for it. My first attempt is serviceable, but needs some refinement. 

There are a few interesting things I did, and a few even worked fairly well:

  • Made a paper pattern and worked out some kinks there first.
  • Centered the fabric's design on the front cover 
  • Sandwiched plastic mesh in the front cover to give the screen a little more protection.
  • Attached the velcro BEFORE sewing front and lining together
  • Punting when I found I was out of black elastic, I used hair bands to attach the reader (' I wanted to get it done!)
  • Added a small pocket to the inside, because you can never have enough pockets
  • I made sure when I turned the cover to the back, the velcro would catch and hold it out of the way
  • Added a strap to said cover, so when it was conveniently turned to the back, I could slip my hand or a few fingers in it to comfortable hold the reader (yes, thanks to my favorite in-house librarian, I inserted elastic in the strap)

Things I would change:
  • Allow a tad more for "turn of the cloth"
  • Improve the closure - when I get out to get more elastic, I'm retrofitting it with a piece along the length of the closure
  • In fact, I'd increase the overlap flap another 3/4-1"
  • Add plastic mesh to the back too as its negligible weight doesn't add much bulk for a firmer feel 

It took about 4-5 hours from design to finish. Kinda cool, I think. 

It's about time

It's way past time to get a blog started. I've wanted to track and share bits of interesting things I find in life. Particularly about sewing. I've been rather productive in my sewing the past week and I need a forum to post, share and track it. So, here it goes!